Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Micro-Teaching, Major Improvements - A Reflection, Wk. 10: REVISED

My lesson objective was for students to understand  modals 'need to' and 'have to' in expressions of necessity.  Specifically, students were to understand the degree of necessity to which each modal is applied.  I taught this lesson to a class in my academy prior to the MT presentation.  My real students responded well to the lesson and the teaching goal was accomplished.  However, there were some unexpected answers to one question that I posed and as a result this question was changed for my MT.  

"I need to drink water."

Normally in this class, instruction begins with some form of lesson preview.  I may ask students to look at the picture or title and predict what the lesson will be about.  This usual follows a short discussion that relates the topic to their personal experiences.  What follows is a reading of a passage and assessment via textbook questions and/or task.  Although, I was allowed to teach the modal lesson I still had to give a test on this day.  So, following the test, students were told that they were going to participate in a special lesson.  Then I went straight into the presentation, just as I would during the MTI always use my STG lesson plans in my real classes.  In doing so I am able to involve my students in new and interesting activities while gaining insight to the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of my planning.
"It's urgent! I have to drink water!"


In my opinion, my second Micro-Teaching was a great improvement from my first MT effort.  During my first teaching I was nervous and it showed.  I looked uncomfortable and often stood with my hands folded in front of my chest.  My body language reflected uncertainty and the class responded with a lack of interests in my lesson.  Also, I did not use enough gestures, I spoke too often and I over-explained every instruction.  "Let's think about Chuseok...Let's answer these questions...I will be listening as you and your partner speak...I will ask you what your partner saw."  Too many of my words were unnecessary.  

In my second MT I was confident in my teaching and exact in my instruction.  Though I used my body by pointing, gesturing and acting, I feel that I could have been more animated during parts of the lesson.   When I showed a picture of a man whose mouth was on fire, students responded with interest.  If I were to teach this lesson again, I would act out the man's feelings with much exaggeration for better understanding of the target language. 


                                 


A significant improvement in my second MT was that I did not over-explain.  I, Tracie "Talks-too-much" West, did not over-explain!  When I wanted the students to do something, I used short, clear, comprehensive statements.  I was also allowing students to respond more often, limiting my T-talk by asking questions that were more open-ended like, "What do you see?" as opposed to "Does anyone know what this picture is?"  Through short open-ended questions, the class was able to provide a variety of responses and student interaction increased.  Simple instructions also made for better transitioning between activities.

Finally, utilizing the computer made a great difference in my second MT.   The large colorful drawings of my slide presentation immediately captured student interests and they were eager to comment.  I did not have to waste time taping pictures or walking around class with pictures that were not visible from the board.  During my first MT my back was sometimes facing students as they responded to questions.  My preoccupation with taping caused me to appear uninterested in student responses.   The convenience of the slides gave me more freedom to use my body in emphasizing meaning and more time to show interest in student contributions.  Although a few technical difficulties caused some moments of silence, I feel that overall my second MT went quite well and I am pleased with the what I was able to accomplish.

Student Written Role-Play, from wk. 9 MT LP
                                         









8 comments:

  1. Although I loved your first MT ('No faces!'),
    I do agree that you have shown a lot of improvement and greater understanding of the best ways to get your students speaking, communicating, and thus acquiring language. Keep it up, Captain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heidi your gestures were very good and added to the discussion. I also liked how you tied a question to the picture - very clever. You did appear more poised this time but a little reserved. I wonder if that was due to the age group you teach? I know when I taught very young students several years ago I had to mentally remind myself they were different from older elementary students. I am not judging here just making observations. I know you are an excellent teacher with years of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heidi and Joel! I was exhausted all day and dreading the MT, so I was satisfied by what I was able to accomplish.

    Haha, no worries Joel. Please, judge away! I have plenty to learn and STG is just the first step to reeducate myself. I appreciate any constructive input. You are absolutely correct. I was definitely more reserved than I am in real teaching situations (and in life in general). While watching my video, I saw a few instances when a greater use of body language would have been ideal for communicating meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracie -- very thorough reflection. I think your more 'reserved' style might, for the short term, serve you well, because you seemed better able to self-monitor and deliver CIs and MIC techniques more appropriately and conscientiously. After you master these and the other stuff we're learning, you'll find the 'real you' coming back into your lessons, but it'll be a much better version of the 'real you'!

    Who is doing your peer-reflection? Neither Joel nor Heidi seem to have used the peer-reflection form, so I guess we're still waiting on your peer-feedback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am 99.9% sure I heard you telling Joel to use my video for the peer-reflection. Heidi was not asked to do my peer-reflection. I did hers because Joel did not have do the second MT.

      Delete
    2. Also, I appreciate your comments on my self-reflection. You made a point that I had not consciously considered but is completely accurate. In my real classes, I have become very focused on the task of teaching (or re-teaching). As a result, I am more reserved, especially in my higher level classes. I have told these students that I am studying to become a better teacher and that some behaviors I once thought acceptable are more damaging than beneficial. They seem to appreciate my honesty and my efforts and they are participating in new activities with a level of interest that invigorates me. The 'real me' is still present, but it's time for the 'teacher/student' me to be the dominant presence in the classroom. It feels pretty great.

      Delete
  5. Tracie, I will post comments from the peer-reflection form. I have been very busy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding TT, I think all students in the classroom participated when you created context and listening task. You did a good job of linking pictures to the situation. The comprehension check of instructions prior to listening was sufficient and you allowed all of the students sufficient time to answer questions. I would add the listening activity discussion seemed a little rushed - but this is probably due to the time constraint.

    The lesson flowed smoothly and I would give it an 8.
    Your MIC techniques were really good using pictures to activate schema and link pictures to listening activity. I noticed several rephrasing and cueing tasks but not as many repeating tasks. I think you have mastered cueing tasks with good transitions between stages. I think this presentation was definitely student centered.

    I thought your explanation of 'fire' to illustrate immediacy was excellent.

    I do not think you taught this as 'schoolteacher.' I think you could relax more by not thinking about 'the next step' and work naturally with the students. I know you gesture in your class but exaggerated gestures would be helpful in this presentation.

    Looking at your presentation I realize I could be thinking about 'the next step' and not concentrating on MIC techniques.

    ReplyDelete