Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Turning Point in NOW!, A Reflection


 

I began my teaching career as a public school eighth grade social studies teacher in Baltimore, Maryland.  As the end of my second year approached, I decided that I wanted to move to Washington D.C.  Having spent some time in Washington as a college freshman, I knew that the move would place me in a more cultural diverse environment.  At that time, I was frustrated by the static Baltimore condition of heroine addiction and crime.  I was bored with the perpetual cycle of work, more work, sleep and work.  I was in serious need of some cultural, social and professional stimulation.  D.C. was going to be the remedy to my Baltimore blues, or at least that's what I thought.

When I saw a job ad for English teachers in Japan, I never thought I'd actual be hired.  I didn't speak Japanese.  I'd only been teaching for two years.  I'd never taught English and my major was History.  Despite all of my doubts, I had the confidence to at least try for the position.  The ad stated that the only requirements were a university degree and an interview.  I definitely had the degree and interviewing for jobs happens to be a talent of mine.  

Once I was hired to teach adult English classes in Kyoto, I immediately began to prepare.  I was saving my money and planning my new life.  I was exhilarated by all things Japanese.  My family was proud.  My friends were supportive and I was thrilled.  Then came the planes.  

My original flight to Japan was sometime in late September, 2001.  When I woke up on September 11 to the horrendous terrorists attacks on America, I was numb.  I was afraid.  A few days later, I was turning down the job in Japan.  Obviously, they understood my fear and assured me that the position would still be open if I changed my mind.  My mother was also understanding, but she encouraged me to go.  She told me that if God chose to take me from this Earth, then it would be; when it is your time, it is your time.  She told me to have faith that I would make it to Japan to start a new chapter in my life.  I never imagined that that chapter would evolve into a book.  

Johnston  talks about how teachers come across opportunities; some we seek out, while others just appear in front of us.  My first job as an English language teacher just appeared.  As I prepared for the interview, I really didn't expect to be hired.  I was looking for a new scene.  I was planning on moving to Washington D.C.  However, the opportunity that appeared was the one I chose.  The entire process from hire to teaching in Japan was the work of God.  He has a great influence over the choices I make in my life and career.  I am not suggesting that all opportunities that present themselves are the works of God, many are not.  It is my belief and faith that guide me to know the difference.  Also, I do not suggest that what it presented is always easy to obtain.  For example, when I decided to continue my education through STG, the process to begin was easy.  God put me around the right people.  He put me in the right job. He provided me with the right income.  Once I began the program, there was nothing easy about it.  However, my belief in God's plan kept me strong, positive and steadfast in this immediate professional goal.  

In addition to God, other factors have led to the professional decisions I've made in the past.  Family relationships, romantic relationships, the economy and self-doubt have all effected my choices for better or worse.  Just because I know what God wants me to do, doesn't mean I always do it.  Human will can be both constructive and damning.

The turning point of my career is now.  I am beginning to re-educated myself.  I will move to America in the spring and I will take any ESL language job that appears.  Most importantly, now I am beginning to truly know what it is to be a professional language teacher.  In the last few months, I have become empowered by all that I have learned and done as a student and teacher.  I am looking forward to learning more, doing more and teaching more.  The future is looking bright.

The Question of Marginalization: Queen or Clown
It seems that within Korean language academies NS teachers are marginalized by the students and sometimes the administration.  Korean teachers are taken seriously.  They are both feared and respected.  Whereas, often times, NS teachers are expected to be fun, interesting, tolerant, amusing AND informative.  At my first Korean academy I was criticized for being to concerned with teaching.  The students wanted to play hangman and other games.  The director told me that 50% of my time was to teach and the other 50% was to have fun and keep the students happy.  Although I was asked to renew my contract, I took a job at YBM.  I wanted to teach, not be the resident clown.  Fortunately, my experiences in Seoul and Bundang were quite different.  I have been fortunate to work in jobs where my skills were utilized and my educational views respected.  

As the teacher, I try to create an environment of respect.  The teacher should respect students and students should respect the teacher and their peers.  With this view comes challenges.  As mentioned above, students sometimes expect the NS teacher to be their friend and my behaviors may sometimes confuse them.  If I apologize or admit a mistake, they may feel that I am putting myself at their level.  I do not think Korean teachers in traditional classrooms do much apologizing.  Also, I may allow students to vote on which chapter or which question will be discussed.  In considering their perspective, I may undermine my position as the class leader.  Students sometimes become too comfortable with me and speak to me in a way that is inappropriate.  In such cases, I will explain my role and remind them to be respectful.  Fortunately, the director and Korean teachers at my present school do not allow for the disrespect of any teacher.  If I just mention one teacher's name, a disrespectful student will immediately apologize.

I do not feel that I must be a dictator in order to be respected and I shall not be treated like a clown.  Creating a classroom of mutual respect, that is educational and enjoyable requires daily reinforcement of expectations and consistent teacher practices.  This is what I work towards with each lesson.


2 comments:

  1. I had written a comment but got deleted. T_T Tracie! I loved reading your post mainly because I can relate to you so much. When you mentioned that your first job as an English teacher came to you unexpectedly, I was relieved that something like that has happened to someone else too. As I wrote in my blog post, when I came to Korea two years ago, I had no intention of working/teaching/staying here, but an unexpected opportunity arose and I got the chance to teach in a pretty good environment. To be honest, it was something so beyond my control that I felt that it was a doing of a higher power. I couldn't just ignore the importance of such an opportunity and had to give it a chance. It was as if God/higher being was guiding a very very lost sheep. I had to explore teaching/education because it seemed like there was a purpose/reason I was pushed in this direction. Anyways, just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your post!^^ See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck in the US, Tracie -- what's next for you teacher development-wise?

    ReplyDelete