Saturday, September 8, 2012

No Losers in This Game, Our First ICC Class

This activity was a fun vivid representation of some challenges of intercultural communication.  It wasn't until the last hand of the second round that I realized the rules of each group differed.  Going into the third round, I tried to use my limited drawing skills to express to a new player that we were playing according to different rules.  I drew two rectangles (paper).  In one was drawn a heart, in the other a star.  She must have thought I was an idiot.  She used her hands to outline the shape of paper.  I realized that she was referring to Corrine's rules.  Just as she believed that I did not understand the rules, I too thought that the players in my second group had been misinformed.  I ignored Jason's confusion when he tried to pick up the trick that I had won.  What I find most interesting about the activity is what I am realizing right now as I write.  I didn't even read the rules.  Justin read them and then taught Shelley and I how to play.  Yet, I STILL believed that our group's rules were true and accurate.  It says a lot about how one's beliefs are shaped.  I am looking forward to this class and seeing what it teaches me about myself.  I have already learned a bit tonight.  Just when I thought I was losing the game, I realized I'd actually won.

3 comments:

  1. Being a competetive person, since we weren't allowed to verbalize our thoughts, I was ready to punch Thomas Avery in the nose. When I got my cards, I was sure I had a winning hand but during the game, he just kept taking all the cards and to add insult to injury, he was laughing about it. When Corinne had told us what had happened, I was stunned because I realized that I had been had. I was riled up and it took me a little while to settle down. It was a great exercise and it really drove the point home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious. After class Paul Micheal said he was playing with a group of guys that all seemed about to explode on each other. When I told him of the irritated acceptance of our group, he said I must have been playing with other girls. I just took his statement as a compliment. Or was I really feeling irritated acceptance? hmmm :)

      Delete
  2. I found myself just thinking I was wrong; must be I'm used to that. It does happen a lot ; )

    For me, though, what I feel inside and what I project outward are sometimes quite different. I felt frustrated but just went along with what some of the stronger personalities at my tables were doing. I may fit into a neatly-packaged Canadian stereotype (details re: "sorry" in the link below). For example:

    Situation: Someone steps on my foot in a crowded area.
    Vocalized reaction: I'm sorry. It's really crowded here, eh?
    Intended meaning: Are you blind, or just a jerk?

    http://cutlerish.tumblr.com/post/3573065230/canadians-say-sorry-an-awful-lot-but-they-rarely

    ReplyDelete