Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 2-Presentations, Kudos To Us!

I must say that as a group we had quite a successful day!  I was impressed by the effort everyone obviously put into their presentations.  It has been some time since I have been in an academic setting as a learner and I appreciate the sharing of knowledge, skills and advice that exist in our group.  In regards to the presentations,  I want to give a special thanks to the students who incorporated technology in their presentations.  Through your presentations, I saw the possiblitiy of my own growth.  

It is only week 2 and I am already experiencing a sense of impowerment.  During one of the presentations (I apologize, but I can't remember which one.) it was stated that some people are predisposed to having anxiety attacks.  I don't exactly fall into that category.  However, I have experienced such attacks in the past when I first began teaching.  I had a very slight panic attack last week, just before the first STG class.  I know it was old anxiety creeping up on me because out of nowhere I had an urge to cry.  I pushed back the tears and took my seat in orientation. 

I would like to reflect on something Professor Randolph said today regarding the possibilities of success that we each own.  He said we must have "self-respect."  I am very grateful for these words.  The context in which they were spoken, caused me to immediately reflect on my past lack of self-respect.  I am capable, intelligent and determined.  We are all the owners of our own teacher development and I intend on respecting myself enough to challenge my self in my professional growth. 

I'm thankful for the contributions of my fellow STG students in my personal development.  I hope that I am also able to contribute to yours.  See you all next time!

6 comments:

  1. Tracie, I did the presentation on anxiety for Korean uni students in relation to learning English as second language. I also experienced anxiety attacks getting my bachelors years ago. I did largely overcome it by moving to a completely new environment (Korea) several months after graduation with BA. I believe firmly the experience of anxiety by the students is related to perception of the experience. Psychologists theorize our perception clouds the experience e.g. one cannot see the entirety of an event only what is filtered through norms, values, personal background.
    I write about this on my blog that perception about an event can be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel, I was 90% sure that you had mentioned anxiety in your presentation, but didn't want to offend anyone. My moment of panic was a reflection of my insecurity as a professional who'd put off professional development for such a long time. The learning environments created by Tom and Bill have allowed me to replace self-doubt with self-esteem. What I do today will determine my future gains. No need to dwell on what I didn't do when there is still so much to do. I will be sure to check out what you posted on your blog about perception change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am of like mind as you Tracie, I too was highly impressed with the presentations that were given, as I learned a lot by watching everyone in class. I have never given a presentation before (or at least i dont recall doing so) and I learned a great deal by the topics that were covered, as well as learning about how to give a presentation because of how impressive everyone was. I was quite invigorated by the end of the night and felt that I grew in more ways then Tom may have initially intended when he assign the homework.

    That all being said, If I had too offer one complaint about the presentations, it would be that there wasn't enough time for Q and A's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracie: "...as a professional who'd put off professional development for such a long time" - wow. It seems we're bunkmates on this overnighter, and I look forward to sharing some of the bumps in the track.

    Joel: ditto re: the re-emergence of anxiety after a long period of freedom in our new environments. During my presentation, I tried to recall techniques for changing perception, including through breathing (haven't had to do that in years!!) but am not sure if it worked.

    Paul: Fully agreed that last night was quite invigorating. It seemed that pretty much everyone in my class grew attached to their assigned reading, and it was evident in the presentations given. (somewhat agreed re: Q&A; I would have loved more time as an audience member but freaked out about it when it was my turn to present!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracie, you definitely strike me as professional, focused and more than able to take on this course! I thought your presentation was great, and wished that it, along with many of the others, could be expanded into 20 minutes and include a Q & A period! It IS a lot of work, and I think all of us feel that, but we can all do it. I was also inspired by Tom's words, and am trying to see if I can visualize myself doing Collaborative or Individual Action Research, writing papers, etc... Why not? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul and Heidi, I also wish that the presentations had included a question/answer portion. I would have liked more clarification on points given in other presentations. I would have also liked the opportunity to test my own understanding of my article through answering the questions of other.

    ReplyDelete