Friday, September 14, 2012

Reflections, A Week of New Strategies in the Classroom

So this week presented some challenges and successes as I began to incorporate in my classes what I have learned from STG.  I decided that I would concentrate on planning and leading lessons that were more dialogic than in the past.  This came with the obvious challenges a teacher expects to face in a content based class where the syllabus requires that student be passive receivers of information.  If I were to rely on the curriculum created by my school, I would have classes of purely monologic discourse as described by Xie.  I changed things up a bit in order to create a new classroom environment in which students are expected and encouraged to speak. I worked on my own patience and allowed for longer response time.  I asked more open-ended questions that required student elaboration.  I tried not to be obstructive, but constructive in my teacher talk, as suggested by Walsh.  Overall, I tried to allow the students to use their English with the hopes that they will better understand the language.

In one content based class, the students had to read a passage on the winter season.  Having taught the pre-requisite of this book, I was not impressed by the reading passage.  The language was far below their level and offered no challenge for the students.  This worked to my advantage, however.  The students and I quickly went through the compulsory routine of the book lesson before I introduced my own activity.  After drawing a Venn diagram on the board, I asked students to tell me what they knew about American Christmas and how it differed from Korean Christmas.  Student participation was great; students were interested in sharing their culture and inquisitive about my own.  The lesson ended with a white board full of information that was almost entirely produced by student statements or as a result of student questions.

In another class, I concentrated on turn taking and voice.  I have a really shy female student in a lower level class.  I'll call her R.  Often her best friend in the class attempts to speak for R.  I always discourage this and seek information from R when she has been addressed.  I noticed that R's best friend was not in the class on Friday.  So, when I asked R how she was feeling, she replied that she was sad.  Although, I immediately jumped to the conclusion that she was sad because her friend wasn't there, I resisted the desire to express this assumption.  I asked R to explain why she was sad and her response was not at all what I expected.  Friday was the birthday holiday for the school that both R and her best friend attend.  R was upset because while her best friend was at Lotte World, R's mother had forced her to attend all of her academy classes.  I was happy for myself and for R.  By giving R more response time and scaffolding when necessary R was able to express her full thought and I got to hear a much better story than what I'd hastily assumed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Captain, I appreciate you sharing these details. It sounds like you're finding a lot of grist in the reading and discussions that you can apply to your professional mill. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tom. It is really interesting to see how applying just one or two strategies can have such a positive change in classroom discourse.

    ReplyDelete