Friday, September 7, 2012

The Power of Points in Altering Classroom Discourse

This week I was determined to get my youngest group of students to be more attentive at the start of class.  Normally they would enter the room, say hello, drop their bags in their chairs and leave the classroom for water.  When they did return to class they'd either converse among themselves, begin to tease each other or attempt to tell me about their day at school.  I had expressed my expectations many times, but they continued to do as they pleased.  So when this week's homework assignment gave the option of altering classroom discourse, I decided I'd use the opportunity to alter some classroom behavior.

My students love market day, the two days out of the year when they are able to use all of their hard-earned points on school supplies, trinkets and junk food.  I love the point system because it encourages students to be productive and well behaved in the classroom.  On Monday, I decided that I would teach my students discourse related to preparing for the lesson.  I first taught my class, the word prepare.  I wrote the English word and its Korean meaning on the white board.  I then wrote two short sentences, "Come to class. Get prepared."  The students repeated the sentences a few times.  I then drew a simple graph on the board.  The graph showed how the students could earn four points before class even began.  The graph listed the students names.  On the top horizontal line was a sentence for each step in getting prepared.  On the day following this strategy, the new discourse was taking root in the classroom.  When the students came in only a third of my ten students followed the Get Prepared guidelines completely.  Others met one or two of the requirements.  While others met none.   Some students had simply forgotten Monday's discussion.  So I had to review the expectations along with the new discourse.  By, Thursday I could see that all of my students understood the concept of being prepared.  If someone did not immediately take out their homework and materials I'd ask, "Are you getting prepared for class?"  The student would quickly start to prepare for class.  After I filled in the points on the graph students would often make a comment, like, "Jerry not sitting."  I'd correct there sentences and cue them to repeat.




While it was evident by Friday (today) that my students understood new discourse related to preparing for class, the discourse was too teacher dominated.  Next week I will spend more time teaching students the correct responses to my questions.  Now that they are attentive at the start of class they will be more receptive to learning new language, especially if their is a chance to earn point.  I love the power of points!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate how seriously and cheerfully you are taking the course themes (i.e. reflection) to heart.

    ReplyDelete