Friday, September 21, 2012

i + 1 + 100% = I 'heart' Krashen!

This week has been a great success for my beginners.  They astound me with the rate at which they acquire new language.  They motivate me with their eagerness to be heard and understood.  They stimulate me to learn more, to do more and to grow more as a teacher.  It is an honor to be a contributor to their English language accomplishments. 


When I first read about Stephen Krashen's comprehensible i + 1, I immediately thought of my first and second grade beginners.  Four weeks ago, in an attempt to create more order at the beginning of class, I introduced by students to the word "prepared".  I taught them what was expected in being prepared and sweetened the deal with a point incentive.  By the second week, most of the students had learned the target language, "I have my book. I have my pencil case. I have my homework. I am sitting."  I probably would have continued reinforcing this same language for months if it had not been for the simple yet brilliant comprehensible i + 1.


Last week, I added '1'  when I changed my questions from first person to second person inquiry.  Initially, when I asked one student if another was ready, the subject of the question would answer, "Yes, I am."  After a few days of modeling the language and letting students practice the language, they acquired the language and now they use it correctly.  So, this week I added another '1' and this was a big '1'!  It was time for them to tell me just how prepared they were.  Everyday, I drew a simple pie graph on the board and divided it into four sections for each of the four preparation expectations.  I taught them percentages: 25%, 50%, 75%,100%.  I then wrote on the board, "How prepared are you?"  They were taught to respond using the percentages.  For example, if a student had fulfilled all of the requirements the response would be, "I'm 100% prepared."  I was apprehensive before I taught them this new language.  Was I pushing them to much?  Would they become discouraged if they were unable to construct meaning from the new lesson?  To my great relief, I was able to present the language in a way that resulted in understanding.  Today was a great day.  Everyone was 100% prepared for class and 100% prepared to use their newly acquired language!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! Sometimes I really miss teaching children. It sounds like you are doing a great job with them...

    ReplyDelete